Low-power RF synthesizer for W-CDMA in an 85% smaller footprint with reduced overall cost.
The NXP Aero dual-band W-CDMA RF frequency synthesizer AERO4133 performs IF and dual-band, low-noise RF frequency synthesis with very low power consumption and in a footprint that is 75% smaller than competing solutions. It is available in versions optimized for GSM/GPRS and W-CDMA.
Very high integration serves to reduce external component count and shrink the design footprint. It includes three voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs), loop filters, reference and VCO dividers, and phase detectors.
A three-wire serial interface (Data, Clock, Enable) and a 22-bit internal shift register serve to simplify system configuration and design. Channel selection and power-down settings are programmable, as are variables for dividers and settings for phase-detector gains.
• Dual-band RF synthesizer
- RF1 VCO range = 2.3 to 2.5 GHz
- RF2 VCO range = 750 MHz to 1.65 GHz
• IF synthesizer
- IF output range = 62.5 MHz to 1.0 GHz
• Fully integrates VCOs, loop filters, varactors, and resonators
• Programmable power-down modes
• Only two external passive components
• Automatic selection of optimal phase-detector gain and modulus-prescaler values
• Low phase noise
• Fast settling times: 200 μS for GSM applications
• Standby current at 3 V = 5 μA
• Supply current at 3 V = 18 mA
• Operation: 2.9 to 3.6 V
• Process technology: 0.35-μm CMOS
• 28-lead MLP package
• 3G wireless communications
• UMTS/W-CDMA mobile handsets
• High-speed wireless data terminals
• Broadband wireless communications